Blomhuis at Hebron Citrusdal
The Blomhuis at Hebron is a straw-bale ‘Eco-Cottage’ set within our wild flower plantations and citrus orchard on the Piekenierskloof Pass with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, and the majestic Cederberg range across the Olifants River Valley. Hebron is a working farm, restaurant, guesthouse and farmstall; we are also child and pet friendly, relaxed and pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests have a wonderful stay.
At the ‘Gateway to the Cederberg’ and under two hours from Cape Town, The Blomhuis is perfectly situated as a base from which to explore the rugged beauty of this unique region, equally spectacular in summer and winter. Put your feet up and unwind in a hammock on the long terrace, enjoying the peace and tranquility or soak away the city in our rim-flow swimming pool overlooking the valley below.
Self Catering accommodation
"The Blomhuis" is a straw-bale and thatch construction with a long verandah facing the mountain, equipped with hammocks, fireplace, braai, shaded parking and recycling facilities. It is made up of two units that can be used individually or as one large cottage, sleeping up to 11 people.
No 7, the larger unit sleeps six and has two double bedrooms, open-plan kitchen / dining / lounge with fireplace and a family bathroom with shower-in bath. The top bedroom overlooks the living area and kitchen from the staircase but is set behind a wall for privacy - it has two additional single beds in the room.
No 8, the studio unit has a queen-size bed, en-suite shower, kitchenette and banquette eating area and a loft bedroom accessed by ladder with a further three single beds.
Constructed using as much naturally occurring and recycled materials as we were able, the cottage has been built specifically to offer rustic charm, but also to minimize our ‘carbon footprint’ and use as few fabricated building materials as we could.
In addition to the Blomhuis, Hebron is already well known for its guesthouse with six rooms, including one self-catering suite, all individually decorated with family antiques, overlooking the Cederberg Mountains and tranquil Citrusdal Valley below.
breakfast & dining
Featured in the Greenwood Guide’s ‘Side Dishes’ of the West Coast, the restaurant is open to the public Tuesday - Saturday, 9am to 5pm and serves a menu inspired by seasonal local produce. Any other meals out of opening times are gladly catered for, by arrangement. Breakfasts include freshly pressed juice, homemade sausages, farm eggs and proper coffee. We make our own bread, sausages and smoked chorizo and use our own fruit, vegetables and herbs as much as we can. We turn all farm surplus into jams, chutneys and preserves to sell in our farm stall.
Every Wednesday, we do a culinary globe-trot offering good value two or three course dinners on our “Global Wednesday” evenings, cooking and decorating in the theme of the chosen nation. Please ask us if you’d like to see recent or receive future menus by email.
In addition we have a supply of homemade “ready meals” should you not feel like cooking. Just 7km from the village of Citrusdal, supplies and groceries are readily available.
coming soon to hebron
WINE TASTING & SALES
Championing only wines of the West Coast and Cederberg regions, tutored tasting by arrangement
NOAH’S PARK CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND
In the shade of three large macadamia nut trees, it will feature a large wooden ark / playframe in a large sandpit, trampoline, interactive water and educational activities, 2 by 2 animals built out of recycled goods (geyser horses, etc), orange picking in season.
RAINBOW ROOM TEA GARDEN
Overlooking the children’s play area, Ideal for kids parties.
attractions and activities
ACTIVITIES & DAY TRIPS
• Sandveldhuisie - museum, antiques, history, also light meals, hosts monthly Farmers’ Market (Saturday, ask for dates)
• The Baths - well known hot springs
• Mountain biking - Wolfkop and others
• Horse-riding - Appel Kotze - Citrusdal, Travellers’ Rest - Clanwilliam, Excelsior - Piket-bo-Berg, Kochelmanders for eats
• Wine tasting - Tierhoek, Johan van Zyl, Cederberg
• Quad routes, kayak-hiring, fishing, bird-watching - Nature’s View
• Various 4 x 4 trails, quad biking, dune surfing
• Citrus Packhouse Tours - by arrangement, March to October
• Golf course - on the Olifants River
• Mountain walks, including original old Grey’s Pass
• Donkey Cart Adventure - Pakhuis Pass
• Ceres Zipslide Adventures, Schurweberg Mountains
SIGHTS & PLACES OF INTEREST
• Verlorenvlei - flamingo's, pelicans, birdwatching and fishing, Tin Kitchen for eats - 121km
• Eland’s Bay, for surfing, crayfish diving - 123km and Lambert’s Bay for Gannet colony, Muisbosskerm for outdoor seafood - 118 km
• Rooibos / Redbush tea farms, from Citrusdal to Graafwater
• Clanwilliam Dam - 70km - watersports and fishing
• Cederberg Wilderness - Maltese Cross, Stadsaal Cave, Wolfberg Cracks and Arch, hikes - 65km
• Algeria Forest Station and rock pools - 47km
• Observatory at Dwarsrivier - 76km
• Khoi San Rock art - Sevilla Trail, 94km away at Traveller’s Rest Farm
• Wupperthal Mission Station, handmade shoes, Rooibos products, 105km
• Spring Wild Flowers, from Langebaan to Springbok
• Groot Winterhoek Nature Reserve, above Porterville
PLACES TO EAT IN CITRUSDAL
• Die Sitrus Grill
• The Grapevine Coffee Shop
• Poppie se Plaaskombuis, traditional local fare, Sundays only
• The Old Village, Modderfontein
• MacGregor’s Restaurant at The Baths
Related / Useful Links
Photo Gallery click to enlarge
No price range submitted
VIEW \ full rates breakdown
N7, Piekenierskloof Pass, Citrusdal, 7340, Cederberg, Western Cape, South Africa
- Caro & Steve Oldroyd
- +27 (0)22 921-2595
- +27 (0)72 593-5858 / 5900
- +27 (0)22 921-2595